Advice Needed on feeding my 19yo son

I have just moved back in to the family home after 5 years away and have found my son living on rice and cheese.  He has always been difficult to feed having the usual aversion to vegetables, onions and anything that isn't neutral in taste, texture and colour.  However his diet is now particularly unhealthy and he eats huge quantities of the same thing every day.  I really need some advice on recipes which will vary his diet whilst keeping to his bland colour and taste palette.  I am finding it very difficult to wrap my head around this kind of food so any advice would be helpful.  Thanks for reading

Parents
  • hi , I've struggled for years with my autistic son and his diet! he has seen dieticians, pediatricians and after 12 years of eating exactly the same every day  chips , he finally got referred to great ormond street hospital and they diagnosed him with ARFID, avoidance restrictive food intake disorder!  His diet hasn't changed he still eats chips daily, only if they are cooked how he likes them! Having a diagnosis hasn't changed anything , just nice to be able to label the condition rather then people saying he's being difficult! He is offered vitamins to help his nutritional intake ! It's worth looking up arfid as it's just as serious as anorexia !  good luck!

• My 16 year old is also very very fussy and lives mostly on cereal. He will eat a cooked breakfast though. Just to say that I make him a 'hot chocolate' which he loves - it's actually half a sachet of chocolate complan with a spoon of nesquick added. It gives him lots of vits and trace minerals that he needs. Most kids will drink a hot choc and it means he is getting a hit of vits most days. Needs to brush teeth though! Also mashed potato is a good base for lots of things. You can pack it with butter for calories and even add carrot/sweet potato and grate cheese on top if he likes that. Maybe a thin layer of mince to make a kind of cottage pie with a nice cheesy top.Good luck. I feel for you.

• My 16 year old is also very very fussy and lives mostly on cereal. He will eat a cooked breakfast though. Just to say that I make him a 'hot chocolate' which he loves - it's actually half a sachet of chocolate complan with a spoon of nesquick added. It gives him lots of vits and trace minerals that he needs. Most kids will drink a hot choc and it means he is getting a hit of vits most days. Needs to brush teeth though! Also mashed potato is a good base for lots of things. You can pack it with butter for calories and even add carrot/sweet potato and grate cheese on top if he likes that. Maybe a thin layer of mince to make a kind of cottage pie with a nice cheesy top.Good luck. I feel for you.

Children
No Data