My little man

Hello everyone

This is my first post here and I hope to find some advice or some help, basically to know if my fears are normal or not. 

I've got a wonderful little boy of almost 17 months old who mumbles and babbles around with a big passion! He's very smiley, happy and can play for hours on his own if we let him.

I was filling in a few milestones and making a few notes and found out he doesn't point at anything nor brings any toys to show me. If I hold something in front of him he either grabs it or pushes it away.

He responds reasonably (as good as a 17 month old can) to his name and when being read to he loves to lie down and just listen. We're trying to get him to walk / encourage him to shuffle around more but he doesn't seem bothered at all and crawls around happily. 

My brother is on the autistic spectrum and has had a horrible youth and hardly any help which is why he had a ton of problems later on in life with his own behaviour and thinking a lot of his behaviour was normal and other people were not. 

If it would turn out my boy has autism that wouldn't bother me at all but I would like to give him the best help possible and to assist and help his development as much as I can. Is there any reason I should be concerned or am I too early / overreacting with my worries? 

Thanks 

Parents
  • Hi NAS64444,

Of course you want to do the best for your little boy.  There's a lot of general information on our website about autism. diagnosis and diagnostic criteria which you will find here: https://www.autism.org.uk/about.aspx.  You might like to consider speaking to your GP or Health Visitor at this stage about your concerns.

Alternatively you may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice . You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

• Hi NAS64444,

Of course you want to do the best for your little boy.  There's a lot of general information on our website about autism. diagnosis and diagnostic criteria which you will find here: https://www.autism.org.uk/about.aspx.  You might like to consider speaking to your GP or Health Visitor at this stage about your concerns.

Alternatively you may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice . You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

Children
No Data