Recommendation - Speech and Language Therapist - North London + Stimming!

Hello

First post on this forum looking for some advice.

My 5yr old son has recently been diagnosed with Autism, he is high functioning, attends mainstream school and a happy and confident boy.  We're looking for a private SALT to help him with attention and listening  (auditory processing) and possibly some social skills. Our main challenge at home is that even though he's highly articulate he doesn't always answer our questions or listen to instructions and when lost in an activity (which is nearly all the time!) zones us out. It makes to and fro of conversation difficult and you have to work quite hard to sustain one as he gets distracted so easily although if it's something he wants to talk about then he won't stop!  His eye contact is quite variable too. Our budget isn't big but i fear the wait on the NHS for a SALT will be v long so wondered if anyone knew or could recommend a good SALT in London (we're based in NW London) who we could see for a time limited basis.  There seem to be so many practitioners out there i don't know where to start and really do want someone who is good.  I heard a therapist who specialses in Social Thinking might be what we need?

Also as aside he stimms quite a lot when excited, flapping hands, jumping up and down and children at school Ive noticed recently are starting to give him strange looks.  I don't want him to get a hang up about this as we've got used to it as a family but wondered if anyone could give any advice about how to divert him from doing this in case he gets ridiculed.

Grateful for any advice.

Parents
  • Thank you for your response Boating and it's great you're not bothered by others reactions and have the confidence to let it bounce off you. I think my son at present is too young to pick up on others' reactions and being his mother just worry it could attract undue attention at school. Unfortunately he's at a school where the other mother's are quite cliquey and my son really wants to go on playdates with other children but just isn't being invited. I was wondering if it was because others' had detected something different about him. In no way do I want him to feel bad about who he is but at the same time don't want him ostracized or bullied later. He's so happy now and don't want anything to change that. Had just wondered if clenching his hands together rather than waving them about would be less noticeable or if anyone had any other ideas. 

• Thank you for your response Boating and it's great you're not bothered by others reactions and have the confidence to let it bounce off you. I think my son at present is too young to pick up on others' reactions and being his mother just worry it could attract undue attention at school. Unfortunately he's at a school where the other mother's are quite cliquey and my son really wants to go on playdates with other children but just isn't being invited. I was wondering if it was because others' had detected something different about him. In no way do I want him to feel bad about who he is but at the same time don't want him ostracized or bullied later. He's so happy now and don't want anything to change that. Had just wondered if clenching his hands together rather than waving them about would be less noticeable or if anyone had any other ideas. 

Children
No Data