Helping my son make friends

Hi, first post.

My son is 11 and has just started secondary. He was diagnosed in January with autism and dyspraxia and hypermobility. This is because for some reason, he's been sent for referrals since he was 4 but the drs kept sending him back.

Since starting school he's been bullied by a group of boys including surrounding him in the changing room. He is such a lovely and funny person but seems to have little to no confidence on himself and tends to only speak to people his age when they initiate conversation. Even then, he is very passive and tries to please them. He stims and repeats, has special interests and doesn't quite grasp social etiquette.

I know he longs for friends but seems unable to make any. My question is how can I help him at school, and where can I find out if there's any Autism specific social clubs nearby so he can make friends with people like himself?

He says he doesn't like himself and is lonely and it breaks my heart.

Parents
  • Hi - welcome to the group. I really struggled to make friends at school, until I started focusing on finding a couple of very good friends (rather than trying to tag along with large groups, who inevitably left me out). If you can get him interested in a club at school (e.g. music, theatre, creative writing etc.), that might help him to mix with like-minded people.

• Hi - welcome to the group. I really struggled to make friends at school, until I started focusing on finding a couple of very good friends (rather than trying to tag along with large groups, who inevitably left me out). If you can get him interested in a club at school (e.g. music, theatre, creative writing etc.), that might help him to mix with like-minded people.

Children
No Data