16 year old daughter

Hi. New on here. I have a 16 year old daughter who is really struggling with depression, suicidal thoughts and self harm and we are working through an anorexia diagnosis. She is with CAHMS but really struggles to communicate in counselling and they have suggested theres little more they can do, she is on medication and it has been suggested that she may have ASD - but she refuses to undertake the assessment to get a diagnosis - she already feels like she is the odd one out and doesnt want the "label". She is isolated from her peers, shows no motivation to change or get better and my husband and I are terrified that she will take her own life. I don't really have a question but would really appreciate any support or words of advice from parents in a similar situation. I feel completely helpless, am struggling to cope and really fear for her future. Thanks

Parents
  • Hi - welcome to the group. I'm 25 and awaiting diagnosis. It took me a long time to realise that I wanted a diagnosis, as I struggled with the idea of being "labelled" for years. I now realise that getting a diagnosis would help me to get to know myself better, which may help me to take better care of myself, particularly when it comes to managing my mental health.

It might be worth calling the NAS Helpline for advice. Even though your daughter isn't diagnosed, you might be able to identify some coping strategies for her. Here are their details: https://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/about-us/contact-us.aspx

• Hi - welcome to the group. I'm 25 and awaiting diagnosis. It took me a long time to realise that I wanted a diagnosis, as I struggled with the idea of being "labelled" for years. I now realise that getting a diagnosis would help me to get to know myself better, which may help me to take better care of myself, particularly when it comes to managing my mental health.

It might be worth calling the NAS Helpline for advice. Even though your daughter isn't diagnosed, you might be able to identify some coping strategies for her. Here are their details: https://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/about-us/contact-us.aspx

Children