House cleaning and personal care

Hi I recently became a support worker for a man with autism and schizophrenia.

Most day he refuses to clean the house and at times him self.when I prompt him, by sharing the task and braking in two sessions, morning and afternoon he goes in what we would call a strop.somentimes by refusing his meds.sometimes stays under the duvet for hours.

If he wasn't on the spectrum, we would call it manipulation.

bribing helps at times but we worry he might get used to it and given pepsi and treats are not good for his meds, it s not the solution.so what's the solution?

If you say something can not be done that day,IE buying something tomorrow instead of today,he reacts in the same way.

My colleague says he s just lazy cause when he wants he does it .and wants attention.

I would like to find a way for him, to understand the importance of hygiene and maintain a clean environment.

Any suggestions please?

Parents
  • wOW! I have just joined the community as my son was diagnosed about 3 years ago. We had no support when he was diagnosed. I feel that my son needs guidance and so do I to. I don't know how to communicate with him, its difficult. We had a major argument about bathing, washing when he was around 12/13.... he turned quite angry & aggressive and ended up leaving the house to cool off but came back. The argument was very serious!

Even now he's 17 washing, cleanliness, brushing teeth, tidying up his room loosing stuff because his room is disgusting. I have no choice but to help him once a week sort out his room or just leave it. But i's my house and i dont want to live like that. I try talking to him about it but he will never change. What do I do????

I understand your situation.

Bea 

Mum of Max who has ASD  

• wOW! I have just joined the community as my son was diagnosed about 3 years ago. We had no support when he was diagnosed. I feel that my son needs guidance and so do I to. I don't know how to communicate with him, its difficult. We had a major argument about bathing, washing when he was around 12/13.... he turned quite angry & aggressive and ended up leaving the house to cool off but came back. The argument was very serious!

Even now he's 17 washing, cleanliness, brushing teeth, tidying up his room loosing stuff because his room is disgusting. I have no choice but to help him once a week sort out his room or just leave it. But i's my house and i dont want to live like that. I try talking to him about it but he will never change. What do I do????

I understand your situation.

Bea 

Mum of Max who has ASD  

Children
No Data