My 10 year old daughter acts much younger than her age.

Hello. I'm new on here, and would like some advice if possible please. My 10 year old daughter starts secondary school next September and I am concerned that she won't fit in because she acts so much younger than other children her age. She was diagnosed some years ago and she knows that she has ASD, and while it is quite endearing (sometimes) that she is still very childlike, I am starting to worry now that she won't have grown up by the time she starts secondary school, which will make her 'stick out like a sore thumb'. My eldest daughter, who is 15, just keeps saying that she will be bullied, which obviously isn't helpful. Does anyone have any advice please on how we can encourage her to act her age? Thank you.

Parents
  • Hello Katkins,

My daughter is young for her age, (awaiting diagnosis) she survived year 7 and the school Senco came on board with us towards the end of year 7.  Your junior school should hand over information on her to the new secondary and maybe you could arrange a meeting with their Senco before she starts, ask what they can do to help her, maybe she can be placed in a class with her friends from primary ?  Are there any summer activities at the school that she can join in with?  My daughter has a friend who acts even younger than she does and she’s flourished and been looked out for, pupils were assigned to help her find her way around etc. 

I wouldn’t try to get your daughter to change, let her be herself and that way hopefully she will meet true friends.   I feel for you as a mum and everyday I carry a worry about my own daughter hoping she’s had a good day.  Best wishes with everything x

• Hello Katkins,

My daughter is young for her age, (awaiting diagnosis) she survived year 7 and the school Senco came on board with us towards the end of year 7.  Your junior school should hand over information on her to the new secondary and maybe you could arrange a meeting with their Senco before she starts, ask what they can do to help her, maybe she can be placed in a class with her friends from primary ?  Are there any summer activities at the school that she can join in with?  My daughter has a friend who acts even younger than she does and she’s flourished and been looked out for, pupils were assigned to help her find her way around etc. 

I wouldn’t try to get your daughter to change, let her be herself and that way hopefully she will meet true friends.   I feel for you as a mum and everyday I carry a worry about my own daughter hoping she’s had a good day.  Best wishes with everything x

Children
  • Thanks ever so much for your reply. The school generally have a policy of not putting children in the same form as their friends, which is supposed to encourage them to mix with children from other schools. However, I have asked if she can be with her two close friends and I think I might have to be quite insistent about it. I'm glad your daughter and her friend coped so well. I feel very encouraged by that.