Travelling in a car as a family. Help!!!

Hi, I would love some advice. My son is 14years old and he is autistic. We also have a 5 year old and a 7 year old. If we are ever in the car altogether there is an argument within seconds. Harry gets annoyed if they touch him by accident or sing along to the music in the car or sometimes if they even talk. What skills can we learn to help in this situation. Thank you for any advice you can give us. We need help!!!

Parents
  • Stick him in the front in charge of navigation - you sit in the back between the others controlling the entertainment and in-car games.   Giving him the promotion will be good for his self-esteem and any back-seat fights have to go through you..

• I think we are definitely going to do that on short journeys. Thanks for the advice. I think initially we felt doing this, he was getting his own way but we’ve come to understand he can’t help his anger when in the car situation  and we need to make sacrifices to help him.

• A 5 and a 7 year old will know exactly how to push all his buttons so sticking them in a confined space will always end badly - your only other option is to invest in a minibus so everyone has their own space.  Smiley

At 14, he'll be wanting to prove himself so being in charge of navigation gives a little responsibility and is also good training for learning how to get about when he's older - linking phone directions to the reality of roads & traffic - a good skill to have.   Also, it will occupy his mind on long journeys looking out for landmarks.

• A 5 and a 7 year old will know exactly how to push all his buttons so sticking them in a confined space will always end badly - your only other option is to invest in a minibus so everyone has their own space.  Smiley

At 14, he'll be wanting to prove himself so being in charge of navigation gives a little responsibility and is also good training for learning how to get about when he's older - linking phone directions to the reality of roads & traffic - a good skill to have.   Also, it will occupy his mind on long journeys looking out for landmarks.

Children
No Data