Disciplining an asd nearly 12yr old boy

I have tried everything to discipline my asd son. positive reinforcement, time out, reward charts, taking toys away etc etc. I'm now at my wits end, my husband is more affected by his behaviour than me saying "he just doesn't care" and "he just had no respect". And trying to explain this is all part of the asd and we have to teach him the behavior that is required from him isn't what my husband wants to hear. My son has hit pubity which doesn't help, his anger has grown tenfold and his attitude is off the scale on top of this he lies about everything even though we know he's lying, it's like a compulsive behaviour?? We only got diagnosed 2 years ago although my son had been being seen since he was 3 as I knew from then. I just really need some advice, especially from others who have been through this xx

Parents
  • Hi NAS63742,

Sorry to hear that you've been having difficulty with your son's behaviour. We have a page of advice here on the site about different strategies for managing challenging behaviour - https://www.autism.org.uk/about/behaviour/guidelines.aspx - although I know a lot of them will be familiar to you as you mention having tried time outs and positive reinforcement etc, there may be other options there you could try, or if you scroll to the bottom there are links to the NAS Helpline, the Parent-to-Parent line, advice on getting counselling and various other options and resources. Hopefully something there might be of help to you.

Best wishes,

Ross - mod

• Hi NAS63742,

Sorry to hear that you've been having difficulty with your son's behaviour. We have a page of advice here on the site about different strategies for managing challenging behaviour - https://www.autism.org.uk/about/behaviour/guidelines.aspx - although I know a lot of them will be familiar to you as you mention having tried time outs and positive reinforcement etc, there may be other options there you could try, or if you scroll to the bottom there are links to the NAS Helpline, the Parent-to-Parent line, advice on getting counselling and various other options and resources. Hopefully something there might be of help to you.

Best wishes,

Ross - mod

Children
No Data