Student support?

Just noticed an article on this subject in "Your Autism" and, whilst it does sound helpful, I'm not sure how to call upon this help.  

From reading the guidance at https://www.autism.org.uk/studentsupport, it sounds as though a formal application is necessary plus also that there will be costs attached to getting a study needs assessment (the link I followed brings up assessments for around £600.  but then, as the mentoring and study support is stated as being at £49 plus VAT and £25 plus VAT per hour, i'm thinking the £600 could already cover a few hours and therefore wondering whether it's worth it.

Has anyone gone down this route?  My son is recently diagnosed and trying to get back onto the last year of a masters degree but needing very prompt help with issues around the exam times, the admin involved in getting back on the course (with which his tutors haven't provided him) and finding accommodation last minute.  

It is, of course, all very late in the day and he's been off the course for 2 years due to issues relating to undiagnosed (therefore unsupported) autism.  We need help to smooth his transition back on, bearing in mind that he's no longer one of the younger students and naturally feels awkward about this.    

• It will be via student finance.  However, this can only be applied for once he's back on the course, on which passing the late-notice exam depends.  

The whole situation is something he finds overwhelming and he's only just beginning to think about any element of disability in his condition.  We'll definitely contact the disability advisor, but i feel I need to pave the way so that, if he reaches out, it's a positive experience this time.   

• How is your son funding the course? If its a student loan due to his disability needs he may be able to re-take the year and receive additional funding for this. The autism disability advisor at his uni would be the best person to speak to about this. 

• Many thanks.  I'll have a look.  It sounds like we might be able to get some support for the academic year.  

Getting back on to the course in the first place might prove more difficult though.  He was only notified of the exam a week ago and has just a few more days to go.  This is after a year of seeking a diagnosis then getting meds in place that actually help a little, so now time is very short. 

Of course, it should have been in place from the start, in which case he probably would have managed to stay on the course and have completed it by now.  :(

• Yes, I found the study skills tutoring and assistive tec tech most useful. My grades went from a 2.2 to a 1st in a few months.

If eligible the gov will pay for the needs assessment and any other support. Its peak time for applications so he'll need to act quickly if he wants the support for the start of the year. https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas/how-to-claim

Depending on which uni he's studying at they may be able to pay for the mentoring support/assistive tec in the interim. They might also have some contact re accommodation, esp if he needs a quiet place to live