Vaccinations

Hi,

Context:

Our son has a diagnosis of higher function/aspergers - they couldn't decide where to put him at the time.  We are pro-vaxxers and respect that not all parents agree with vaccination programmes.  DS however has read a lot of negative nonesense about anti-vaxxers and is quite critical of them.  We have constantly explained to him that it is a choice for all parents and you have to respect their decision, but he has made it clear he doesn't want to be labelled an anti-vaxxer.

Problem:

Our son had all his shots, and agreed to have his DTP and Meningitis shots done through school, with all his peers, but on the two days they tried to give it him, he refused.  So we took him to the practice nurse at our surgery and twice he's refused to have them done. 

Attempted Solutions:

Restraint - he overpowered my husband and I and hurt us both

Reasoning - really why did we think this would work?

Bribery - nope.

Desensitising the area - did it, then he wouldn't let the nurse near him.

Suggestions:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can convince him to have these injections?  We've already wasted 2xjab packs at £36 each and don't want to waste any more time or money.

We have talked to him about having the imotep cream, but he insisted he rather have the shots when he is asleep and unable to do anything about it.  We cannot and will not do this, because we are worried he will never trust us again

• I assume that these are his booster shots? Could paediatrics possibly use mild sedation or gas? If this is how he wants it done. 

• There's multiple stress points to having an injection - from deciding to do it, getting to the GP, waiting for the appointment, going into the room, waiting while they check everything, preparing the skin area and the final jab and the squeeze - have you discussed with him which part is his cut-off point and why?  

Talk to him about getting him through the pinch-point.   If it's the actual jab, distraction works well - very loud music & headphones is easiest.

Having a complex discussion about any of his hobbies can help to occupy his mind through all the other steps.

BTW - I'm a 50s bloke - terrified of needles - serious health problems so I have LOTS of people sticking needles in me - I find it very, very stressful but I can push myself through it.