Newly diagnosed 9 year old son

Hi,

My 9 Year old son has recently been diagnosed with ‘mild autism and mild adhd’. The paediatrician sent a letter to sons school and GP, provided me with details on a support group.

He has always been a bright child, reading/spelling above his age, but has social and concentration struggles.

He has always hated school, especially writing as he finds it difficult-letters are not properly formed, is extremely unreadable, struggles with pencil grip and scissor hold, fine motor skills in general I think. He hates homework-it is always a battle to get him to do 10 minutes of homework or reading (he is amazing at reading/spelling, never needs help with that side of things) He doesn’t get much homework in year 4, just a double side a4 sheet with 10 spellings to write out 4 times each, a word search (which he hasn’t got the patience to complete) and to find the meanings of the words usually. And reading. he would rather spend 20 minutes arguing about why he shouldn’t have to do it. He views school as unimportant/thinks he doesn’t need to learn anything/thinks the teachers need to go back to university (which he rudely tells them if he feels wronged, for example this sports day he thought he came 3rd in a race but got 4th place. He said the teacher was pointing at him smirking and mocking him) He would have confronted her if I hadn’t have been there to talk him down. He can be extremely difficult/snappy/will not give up in an argument and always has to have the last word) and has been removed from the classroom a few times due to him disrupting the other children by messing around/getting angry after teacher asking him to do something he doesn’t want to do etc.

This is all rather new to me, but the school have been pushing for the diagnosis for years, they re-referred him to the paediatrician, which resulted in the diagnosis which I am very grateful for. I am just concerned that his school work is now declining and I don’t know what to do next. I have heard of an EHCP(?) but not sure whether that is something that I should be looking into, whether there is any more help he can get at school? He currently uses fidget toys, wobble cushion etc. He is in a class of around 30 children, and only have a teaching assistant some of the time therefore I imagine he loses focus quite often as the teacher would understandably be spread too thin. I just don’t know where to go from here. Thanks for listening