Autism diagnosis

On average how long can a diagnosis take after referral to the ASD panel. My son has gone through all the conversations and all form filling has been done. I was hoping that we would hear by the end of the school year but haven’t heard anything yet. He is due to go to secondary school in September 2020, and we need to be thinking about whether or not he would be better off at a Special School  because of the additional support he needs.

Parents
  • Oh, it took my daughter more than 2 years. It is something you need to pursue, push actively. It always helps keeping the daily diary. Print the highlights and give to the GP asking to check and prioritise the referral. If you have evidence, ask for the referral to CAMHS , Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy.

The school does not need the dx to make provisions, it is clear in the code of practice. So you need to pursue the right support and EHCP with the Senco at school. Don't let them fob you off. The transition is a very tricky time, often autistic children don't manage it well without the right support. So you need to push the school. Do you have a transition support? Did you meet with the Senco at secondary?

Talk to IPSEA, SOSSEN, and NAS about the tools in pursuing the right support, it should be in place at secondary in Sep. 

• Oh, it took my daughter more than 2 years. It is something you need to pursue, push actively. It always helps keeping the daily diary. Print the highlights and give to the GP asking to check and prioritise the referral. If you have evidence, ask for the referral to CAMHS , Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy.

The school does not need the dx to make provisions, it is clear in the code of practice. So you need to pursue the right support and EHCP with the Senco at school. Don't let them fob you off. The transition is a very tricky time, often autistic children don't manage it well without the right support. So you need to push the school. Do you have a transition support? Did you meet with the Senco at secondary?

Talk to IPSEA, SOSSEN, and NAS about the tools in pursuing the right support, it should be in place at secondary in Sep. 

Children
No Data