5 year old son with ASD no volume control

Hello,

We have issues with our son making very loud noises, screeching and screaming when he is excited, playing with toys or watching tv. He will do this constantly throughout the day and it is causing issues with our neighbours who are not very understanding. Speech and language therapy think that it is a sensory stimulation for him and that perhaps he’s not aware that he is doing it. When you ask him to be quiet he gets quite upset or angry. 

We were wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how we can help to manage it? 

Thanks! 

Parents
  • Speech and language are probably right sounds like a vocal stim. I have 3 kids at home with no volume control and they each try to over shout the other so it gets very loud! 

As other people have suggested trying to change the stim rather than stop it is better, sounds silly but have you tried encouraging humming? This way he is still getting a stimulation of the vocal cords and as others have suggested possibly earphones for audio stimulation. 

As for your neighbor's I know its difficult but your son is allowed to make as much noise as he likes during the day and they will have to learn a bit of patience. 

• Speech and language are probably right sounds like a vocal stim. I have 3 kids at home with no volume control and they each try to over shout the other so it gets very loud! 

As other people have suggested trying to change the stim rather than stop it is better, sounds silly but have you tried encouraging humming? This way he is still getting a stimulation of the vocal cords and as others have suggested possibly earphones for audio stimulation. 

As for your neighbor's I know its difficult but your son is allowed to make as much noise as he likes during the day and they will have to learn a bit of patience. 

Children
No Data