My twin boys recently diagnosed with ASD.

Hello all, I am mummy to twin boys who are four and a half who have been recently diagnosed with ASD. It has gone from lots of waiting to 100mph to get them ready to go to school! 

I am so appreciative of the support we have had but I am very concerned about the boys sudden urge to run and just keep running! They don't sense any danger and won't slow down until we call them very loudly or have to run to catch them which I am sure alot of you have experienced. 

I'm particular one of the boys will walk alongside strangers aswell which again is something that we don't want to happen. 

They are generally happy boys and thrive on their routine and do struggle with any changes at times which is where we use visual cards. 

Any tips or advice on helping the boys with the bolting and running away to keep them safe please? Or any tips on general behaviour etc...Obviously we don't want to shout at them but sometimes the only way they will listen is when you raise your voice!

Thanks for listening, Laura Relaxed 

• When my daughter was young we had similar concerns, running away, not understanding danger, being too familiar with strangers... Once she got in the car with other people and wouldn't get out...

If I recall, it could be helped with social stories, circle of friends. It helps when there is a consistent message at school. Generally avoiding dangerous situations, for example letting to run on the school playground before going to the streets. Instilling 'hard stops', like never getting from the sidewalk to the road without waiting for you.; never talking to strangers without you being near...

It has been a long time since my children were that age, but I am not sure I had a remedy and can say any advice worked, it didn't I am afraid. I just muddled through avoiding the worst situations, basically my daughter grew up and out of some of those behaviours. If we made safely home - success. Is it my failure? I know parents are super-parents and often seem totally on top of things and have a method and answer to everything. But it might just be an appearance...

Do apply for dla though about no sense of danger.