Fits of anger

My son has started over the last week or so shouting at me and just suddenly snapping into fits of anger. This is different behaviour for him as he normally cries or withdraws into himself, so him shouting "damn it!" and getting angry is not something I have had to deal with before. Does anyone have any advice on how to manage this behaviour?

Parents
  • How old is your son? 

My daughter is 8 and gets aggressive outbursts normally at the end of the day if she has been holding stuff in at school or if her sister is trying to wind her up! 

When she gets angry (shouting phase) I calmly repeat her name to get her attention hold her hands (not restraining just holding)  and rub the palms of her hands with my thumbs telling her it's ok to be angry but to breathe, as she starts to calm down I give her a stress ball to squeeze and we squeeze and breathe, normally this works and she will tell me what the original problem was.

If your son is a bit older you may find its hormones starting to kick in and you will need to talk to him about recognising his emotions before he gets to anger and employ calm down strategies to help, occasionally he may just need to vent and get it off his chest so letting him know it's ok to feel like that will help.

• Thank you. That is helpful . He is 9 and a half.

• Could he be worrying about school? I know my daughter has already started getting anxious about moving year groups and who will be teaching her next year

Reply Children
No Data