EHCP

Hi,

So I have been working with school Senco to get extra help for my 6 year old but despite 2 applications the local education dept wont conduct an EHCP assessment. I could use some advice on pushing this through. (Education psych and SLT both support the application) I know next step is mediation.

Would welcome any advice. Thanks.

Parents
  • I had similar situation to Niknak only my son got diagnosed aged 15. he has an EHCP but teachers really don't understand anxiety and depression and kept bleating on about him meeting his targets but he was in turmoil. I had a chat with the council team manager at a Local Offer event but have found all the employees at the council SEND team have been brilliant. I'd try to get hold of who is responsible for writing the plans for the kids at your child's school and take it from there - get as much info out of them and give them the reasons why you feel your child is struggling. By the way - as I understand it - It's against the law to use the excuse of a lack of funds to refuse an education or help with special needs for children. Also your child's education has to be suitable for his/her age, ability and aptitude...so don't let anyone fob you off giving a minimum of support. 

• I had similar situation to Niknak only my son got diagnosed aged 15. he has an EHCP but teachers really don't understand anxiety and depression and kept bleating on about him meeting his targets but he was in turmoil. I had a chat with the council team manager at a Local Offer event but have found all the employees at the council SEND team have been brilliant. I'd try to get hold of who is responsible for writing the plans for the kids at your child's school and take it from there - get as much info out of them and give them the reasons why you feel your child is struggling. By the way - as I understand it - It's against the law to use the excuse of a lack of funds to refuse an education or help with special needs for children. Also your child's education has to be suitable for his/her age, ability and aptitude...so don't let anyone fob you off giving a minimum of support. 

Children
  • Completely agree.  If only I knew then what I know now.  Since the EHCP has been given the SEND from the council have been brilliant.  She's visited the college and secured my son a place (he's going to college for his year 11)  kept in regular contact. It's only been a few weeks but so far so good.