EHCP

Hi,

So I have been working with school Senco to get extra help for my 6 year old but despite 2 applications the local education dept wont conduct an EHCP assessment. I could use some advice on pushing this through. (Education psych and SLT both support the application) I know next step is mediation.

Would welcome any advice. Thanks.

Parents
  • Hi there.  My son has just got his EHCP at 15 years old.  He was diagnosed at 6. It sounds familiar in that the Ed psych was supporting getting one but the primary school were reluctant to start the process.  He needed support but was managing.  This all changed after getting to senior school and from the end of year 7 he was really starting to struggle.  I did ask about the EHCP and was fobbed off. It's took him to have a breakdown and being diagnosed with depression, PTSD and anxiety to finally getting the support he desperately needs. Send awarded his EHCP this Easter. He starts a new school in September and I'm hoping this will be the start of things better.  

All I can say is don't give up.  Collect evidence and reports of everything.  Document everything and fight for tbe support your son needs and is entitled to. I wish I had in the earlier years.  

Good luck x

• Hi there.  My son has just got his EHCP at 15 years old.  He was diagnosed at 6. It sounds familiar in that the Ed psych was supporting getting one but the primary school were reluctant to start the process.  He needed support but was managing.  This all changed after getting to senior school and from the end of year 7 he was really starting to struggle.  I did ask about the EHCP and was fobbed off. It's took him to have a breakdown and being diagnosed with depression, PTSD and anxiety to finally getting the support he desperately needs. Send awarded his EHCP this Easter. He starts a new school in September and I'm hoping this will be the start of things better.  

All I can say is don't give up.  Collect evidence and reports of everything.  Document everything and fight for tbe support your son needs and is entitled to. I wish I had in the earlier years.  

Good luck x

Children
No Data