6 Year Old Daughter

Hi, 

I'm new here please bare with me. My daughter is 6 years old she she was diagnosed last with with autism. I'm a single mom, I can use all the help I can get.

What to do at home, how to calm her down and so forth 

Parents
  • I am struggling with your question a little as its quite open (for example what to do at home kind of threw me). If you can be more precise I can maybe help more :)

• I asking about things that I can have to make the home friendly for her. 

• Again it would depend what she struggles with. My son for example (and myself as a kid if I'm honest) hates toilets. This is because smells can be overpowering (toiletries, toilet cleaners, public toilet smell!) Hand driers are too loud (public rest rooms). Towels may be too scratchy. Toilet paper too rough.

Toothpaste too strong so I tried lots of milder tooth pastes

Bedroom....one for sleep one for play. Both quite neutral colours. Bean bag and a gym ball to destress 

Trampoline for the end of the day if he needed to bounce and let out his frustration

Timetables and set times for dinner, breakfast and lunch

If people say their coming over and dont this could be a trigger too as plans have changed.

My son liked visual timetables you can download them for free online 

The list is endless really and depends on what shes struggling with as everyone with autism is different

Hope some of the above helps

• Thank you, that helps so much. I'm still learning even her behavior and everything else

• Oh and when asking questions be precise. Agsin it depends on the child but for example when my son was young the teacher found that if she said right everyone sit on the carpet my son would remain until she told him by name to sit on the carpet.

Some kids are very literal too.

My son gets confused with phrases like draw the curtains or make the bed. Why would I want him to draw a picture of the curtains? Make the bed into what? This can cause frustration

Sorry for the typing errors my hands hurt today but anything else just ask. 

• Oh and when asking questions be precise. Agsin it depends on the child but for example when my son was young the teacher found that if she said right everyone sit on the carpet my son would remain until she told him by name to sit on the carpet.

Some kids are very literal too.

My son gets confused with phrases like draw the curtains or make the bed. Why would I want him to draw a picture of the curtains? Make the bed into what? This can cause frustration

Sorry for the typing errors my hands hurt today but anything else just ask. 

Children