Son aged 2 diagnosed - what now?

Hello everyone :) 

my son is 24 months and was diagnosed Autistic last week. We are waiting contact from SALT and Portage and a place on a More Than Words course.

do I need to be doing anything else? Work are not being supportive and won’t let me have unpaid leave for appointments unless I take it as a block of a week and give 21 days notice because we don’t get DLA. Preschool have said we can’t access 15 hours a week funding because we haven’t got a statement.

how do we get a statement? Do I need to apply for DLA? I mean he’s very difficult sometimes, but then people just tell me all 2 year olds are difficult and it makes me think I’m being a pathetic rubbish parent so I don’t know why we would be entitled to anything really.

sorry if none of this makes sense: I was expecting years of assessments and things and didn’t expect to get a diagnosis so feel really unprepared.

thank you 

rooma Slight smile

Parents
  • Hi 

You can claim dla, it takes along time and you can get rejected a few times. My daughter is 8 awaiting assessment and we have just submitted a claim on the advice of support worker. The dla is based on the care and support he needs in comparison to the average 2 year old, so any additional help you provide him is considered it is worth looking into. 

I'm not sure what dla has to do with getting time off work as most employers allow time off for appointments I would personally check with hr as I think that is discrimination. 

As for a statement of needs contact your local authority they can advise you on what you need to do.

Don't listen to other people, you are not a rubbish parent. YES all 2 year olds can be difficult but sometimes having a child with asd is more difficult and unless they have been there tell them to "sod off" 

He has only just been diagnosed give yourself time to accept that, learn as much as you can to support him look at support groups in your area they really can help as people there understand and can offer practical advice, and this forum is great the insight from the autistic community is the best way to support your son.

• Hi 

You can claim dla, it takes along time and you can get rejected a few times. My daughter is 8 awaiting assessment and we have just submitted a claim on the advice of support worker. The dla is based on the care and support he needs in comparison to the average 2 year old, so any additional help you provide him is considered it is worth looking into. 

I'm not sure what dla has to do with getting time off work as most employers allow time off for appointments I would personally check with hr as I think that is discrimination. 

As for a statement of needs contact your local authority they can advise you on what you need to do.

Don't listen to other people, you are not a rubbish parent. YES all 2 year olds can be difficult but sometimes having a child with asd is more difficult and unless they have been there tell them to "sod off" 

He has only just been diagnosed give yourself time to accept that, learn as much as you can to support him look at support groups in your area they really can help as people there understand and can offer practical advice, and this forum is great the insight from the autistic community is the best way to support your son.

Children
No Data