Obsessive throwing things downstairs or in water

Hi,

My grandson is 11, he is non verbal, and he has started, over the last 3 months, throwing everything downstairs, clothes, toys, shoes, toiletries, anything he can get his hands on really. He also likes to post things down the back of the sideboard, put things in water (such as all my makeup) or throw things out of the window.  

We can't take our eyes off him for a moment. My son has another child now, she is just turned one, so it is difficult to keep an eye on my Grandson constantly unless there are two of you at home.

We have put locks on the rooms upstairs to restrict his access to things to throw, I have bought him some foam shapes to throw, as these do not cause any damage, however he is a resourceful child & can throw anything, 64 wet wipes individually from a pack for example.

My son & his wife have recently split up, and my son has moved back home with us, my grandson has been used to staying with me on his own at weekends so it is his space, now my granddaughter is coming to stay on a Friday night too, he is struggling with this.

School have advised he has started doing similar things there, and they have timetabled in a specific time for him, so he gets the stimulation he needs, however it is difficult to do that at home.

Whilst I have been typing this, he has managed to open the bedroom window, and his pyjama pants ae now stuck on the porch roof, and his jigsaw pieces are on the path.

Any advice would be welcome

Parents
  • There's 2 things here - first is the naughty behaviour to push all your buttons - but it's also fascinatiing for them to see things bouncing down the stairs. 

One needs you to work out a method to control - the second is a teaching/learning opportunity for a hungry AS mind - I'd be indulging the learning part with making paper planes, bouncing balls, making parachutes, doing egg-drop experiments - their mind sounds like it loves to gather information and their behaviour is giving them tons of pleasing data - it also gives you an opportunity to connect and teach better behaviour while they are fully engaged.

• There's 2 things here - first is the naughty behaviour to push all your buttons - but it's also fascinatiing for them to see things bouncing down the stairs. 

One needs you to work out a method to control - the second is a teaching/learning opportunity for a hungry AS mind - I'd be indulging the learning part with making paper planes, bouncing balls, making parachutes, doing egg-drop experiments - their mind sounds like it loves to gather information and their behaviour is giving them tons of pleasing data - it also gives you an opportunity to connect and teach better behaviour while they are fully engaged.

Children
No Data