A Lonely Journey

Our journey started this January. My family and friends don't understand as my 4 year old is on the 'high functioning' side and assume he's okay. I'm tired. I'm tired of the meltdowns and sensory overloads. I miss family days out free of anxiety and tantrums. My 2 year old daughter is missing out as her brother restricts us with what we can do and where we can go. I want to be a normal family. I want this guilt and resentment to go away. I sacrifice my time and energy and leisure on my little boy. My marriage is beginning to crumble after 7 happy years. 

Currently looking up on services and support such as local groups and dla. Figuring out how to get a carer assessment too. I don't know what these lot have in store for me but my mind is open to anything that will keep me sane.

Who knew this would be so isolating. 

• Hi

It can be isolating but you have to look at the positive parts. 

As for meltdowns and sensory overloads work out what is causing them and reduce or remove triggers, it won't totally stop them but can make things easier. Learning to spot them before they go to far is really good, 

Have you tried introducing a visual timetable to structure the day, it really does help when moving from one task to the next and setting up a safe space with sensory toys is a great way help him calm down, 

Local support groups can help you with someone to talk to