Frustrated parent!!!

So this is the first time I have ever posted anything but honestly I'm at the end of my limits. My child is 12 I have know since he was very young that something was special about him, but because it was my first child I was patted on the head and passed from pillar to post. 12 months ago we were told adhd and referred to more services!!   Please let me say that my child has been let down by so many services cahms, Schools and Dr's.  5 weeks ago we went for ados assessment still waiting on outcome,  but no one ever gives you a straight answer or offers constructive advice so for everything that has happened and all the fighting to try and get help all I have is a bunch of labels !!!! 

Parents
  • Hi

Welcome to the forum, I really understand that feeling of frustration at being dismissed as it's your first child and you don't know what you are talking about! I had my eldest at 16 and I was repeatedly laughed at and told there was nothing wrong with him, he had serious sleep apnea due to his wind pipe and nose being blocked by severely overgrown tonsils and adenoids as well as being deaf! Eventually they sorted it but it took years to convince gp to refer him.

Skip forward many years and I had my daughter, we knew early on that she is autistic but got fobbed off with she is just delayed due to the severe trauma after birth, at 4 gp laughed at me when I took her for sleep problems since then we have been bounced between cdc, camhs and peadiatrics with each one arguing that the other is responsible for assessment! She is now 8 and still waiting. 

Luckily she has a fantastic senco at school who is very accommodating of her needs without formal diagnosis, they are still limited with some support without it but do everything possible without. 

It is a constant battle, sure it will continue to be but we do what we must I have just lodged several complaints regarding our treatment (or lack of)  have you considered this? I don't think services will change unless they are forced to 

• Hi

Welcome to the forum, I really understand that feeling of frustration at being dismissed as it's your first child and you don't know what you are talking about! I had my eldest at 16 and I was repeatedly laughed at and told there was nothing wrong with him, he had serious sleep apnea due to his wind pipe and nose being blocked by severely overgrown tonsils and adenoids as well as being deaf! Eventually they sorted it but it took years to convince gp to refer him.

Skip forward many years and I had my daughter, we knew early on that she is autistic but got fobbed off with she is just delayed due to the severe trauma after birth, at 4 gp laughed at me when I took her for sleep problems since then we have been bounced between cdc, camhs and peadiatrics with each one arguing that the other is responsible for assessment! She is now 8 and still waiting. 

Luckily she has a fantastic senco at school who is very accommodating of her needs without formal diagnosis, they are still limited with some support without it but do everything possible without. 

It is a constant battle, sure it will continue to be but we do what we must I have just lodged several complaints regarding our treatment (or lack of)  have you considered this? I don't think services will change unless they are forced to 

Children
  • Thank you for replying I have made complaints jumped up and down for people to listen.  His first primary school just asked us to remove him it seems to happen alot that they just pass it on like we are a problem it's so unfair.  It's nice to share and hear from other people because it feels like a lonely place sometimes