Sensory - putting things in mouth

hi,

my 3years old girl is highly sensitive and put lots of things in her mouth like play dough, glue sticks etc.

any advice please?

thanks!

• Hi, sorry to hear about this. It can be a worry when young children put everything they shouldn’t into their mouths! Can I just say that this can just be normal child hood behaviour, my 5 year old was an absolute nightmare for putting anything and everything into her mouth when she was 2-3 but yet she’s the NT out of my 3 daughters. As you’ve posted on here though, I’m assuming that your daughter does have Autism and that this is a sensory seeking behaviour? Perhaps, as someone else has suggested, get her some stim toys that are made to be chewed, that may at least act as a diversion and reduce her putting inappropriate items into her mouth. Hopefully she grows out of it! 

• I think he was about 4? It came to a stop so naturally I didn't really note when he stopped. I think it was towards the middle of his reception year. He has different habits now like he collects sticks and stones on our walks.

• Good to know that he has grown out of that. May I know at what age please? Thank you 

• My son was a nightmare, he used to lick rain from benches, swallow beads, he once put FIVE peas up his nose (petite pois small ones) we never realised until he started sneezing them out... He has grown out of that stage now thankfully I just had to constantly warn pre-school and nursery about him i was scared he would do something silly when I wasn't there.  

• It is a common thing, it's a stim that helps to focus. But it passes hen other stims and ays to focus get developed. At 3 it's OKish.

• Hi 

Think I may have replied on your other thread but have you tried chewable sensory toys they might discourage other items