Pain and illness

We were woken at five this morning by our 9 year old son screaming in pain saying his tummy hurt. Its so difficult as he would do this over a paper cut. We have him Nurofen and Calpol and he seems fine now. It is so difficult to judge with him exactly how ill he is.

Last week he was lying down on the floor church (this is something he does a lot anyway so we thought nothing of it) when we got home he said he didn't want lunch but we thought this was because he wanted to play on his computer. We took him out to a charity open garden, it was a 40 min drive and he was lying on the back seat (again he does this a lot) when we got there we paid a tenner on entry,, parked the car and he threw up so we drove home. 

He doesn't seem to have the language to tell us he is not well and or describe intensity. Two extremes being v vocal versus not saying anything. 

Does anyone else's child do this ? Any tips ?

• Thank you. 

I have tried ringing both this and the other helpline but after forty minutes on hold each time I gave up. I will try the website.

• Hey raindrops and roses, 

You may find our Parent to Parent service helpful. This service is confidential and run by trained parent volunteers who are all parents themselves of a child or adult with autism. 
    You contact the team on 0808 800 4106. 
    Or alternatively you can use contact the team via web form:

https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/parent-to-parent/enquiry.aspx

Hope this helps, 

SteveMod 

• No, but I do. Sometimes I can have a cut or a gaping hole in me somewhere, that most people would be in extreme pain over and I don’t even know it’s there and other times I can feel even a slight headache or an itchy achy thing in my gums and it drives me insane and I can easily overdose on too  many tablets I take to stop feeling the pain. 

It doesn’t occur to me to tell someone I’m not feeling well, it just seems like a really bizarre thing to do but when I do feel pain, I will cry out but I can’t always explain to someone what it is or even where it is. And I live by myself anyway so haven’t got anybody to tell, even if I wanted to, which I wouldn’t, that’s just weird! lol! I know lots of people do that and so it’s not weird to lots of people but to me, why would you tell someone you’re not feeling well? Like I said, to me, that’s just plain old weird! Lol! 

I get massive bruises and have no idea where they’re from and burns on my hands, which I don’t seem to feel most of time, yet sometimes I do. It’s bizarre. I haven’t worked all this stuff out yet, so I’m interested in what others have to say - sorry, I haven’t got any tips, not yet anyway, I will suss it out, but I’m working on other things just now.

I only got diagnosed with autism at the end of 2017 and I’m currently working on feelings and emotions and trying to recognise them and work out what they are. So I haven’t come on to the weird way I experience pain and discomfort yet. 

I used to be a heroin addict and unlike most heroin addicts I used to actually like the withdrawals, which addicts call rattling. They will do anything to avoid rattling but I loved it. It’s painful and horrible but somehow I liked it. It’s like it was a connection between me and my body. It’s the same with extreme cold weather. I love cold icey wind on my face as it kind of let’s me know I’m alive because I have a massive disconnect between me and my body, most of the time. Because like I said, sometimes I can feel pain and it could be something most people wouldn’t think twice about, but to me, it’s like I’m dying, like I’m being a massive drama queen or something (only just recently learned what that means, to be a drama queen lol!), so it’s weird and I haven’t worked it all out yet. 

So, sorry, not much help I know, I’m hoping somebody else can shed some light. As a kid, like your son,  I would always be layed on the floor etc, literally anywhere, apparently, but I used to be in the fetal type position and I was never ill, even as a kid but I did have trouble because I hated eating and drinking ~ just getting to grips with that now, but the pain thing, is still a mystery to me.