What are the most common triggers and calming tactics for a meltdown?

Hello all, 

I am new here but not new to autism. We have a 12 year old son, who (after many years of trying) only last September got diagnosed. Our son can be the nicest of kids at times, but so often gets with the wrong crowd and gets himself into all sorts of trouble. He has just changed school on a trial as he was not doing very well at his last one in the hope that they are able to help him.

I am also studying at the OU, doing a design degree. This year I am doing a project on our son and others like him as a high functioning autistic. Most of the problems that gets him into the most trouble is when his starts to get upset and all his little triggers set him off into a meltdown. We do recognise when this starts, so can sometimes prevent a meltdown to let him calm him down. But it is a learning curve. 

My goal is to find most of his common triggers and work out the right calming tactics for a meltdown. Hopefully with this knowledge I can help other children like him, teachers and parents.

Any help or feedback is very welcome, I would love to hear about any obvious triggers other children like him have and what helps prevent them blowing up. 

Parents
  • Ear defenders!! Seriously, when I am 'sperging out I find a set of ear defenders very comforting..

I've always felt like the reduction in sound frees up some brain processing power, which is probably incorrect but the relief i get is real enough. 

• Ear defenders!! Seriously, when I am 'sperging out I find a set of ear defenders very comforting..

I've always felt like the reduction in sound frees up some brain processing power, which is probably incorrect but the relief i get is real enough. 

Children
No Data