My 2 year old been diagnosed with autism

is there any parents who has a child diagnosed so young ? It’s heartbreaking watching / experiencing these meltdowns he has. Is there any way I could somehow see the world or understand it from his point of view ? He’s struggling to cope daily with most activities 

1. Hi, you are not alone! My daughter is turning  3 end of this month and she has a diagnosis. 

In addition to PECS, also do schedule cards for instance cards for night time routine etc.

meltdowns might due to his sensory problems. Has he seen by an Occupational therapist? Please get him assessed for his sensory profile, OT can help to perform some exercise for him and you can do the same at home.

we bought a trampoline, gym ball and bean bag for my daughter, she loves it!

Don’t worry on the spoken words, he is still very young.  

Take care!

• There's loads of info on this site, so have a good look around.  Routine is very important, even small changes can be distressing.  I found that talking to my son whilst at the same time using actions helped him to understand when he was non verbal.  I would say "let's get your coat whilst at the same time taking his coat off the peg".. Pecs are also useful.  Don't try to learn too much at once, bit by bit is a better way.

• Thank you so much for your input, he’s currently not speaking only has 2 words in which he uses out of context. I have tried picture cards but will continue. I wish you all the best 

• Hi, my daughter is 8 and still awaiting diagnosis so I am not in the same situation of having an early diagnosis, but I do know alot of children are diagnosed at two now. 

I'm not sure that there is anything that can show you how he experiences the world there are a few videos out there that give an idea of what the sensory overload is like for autistic people but I can't tell you how accurate they are, 

As for his meltdowns, try keeping an abc chart of what causes them so you can identify triggers, I don't know you or your son so no idea on his level of communication skills but pecs cards can be very useful, remember little changes can be really hard for him to deal with it may seem like nothing to us but can mean everything to him. Look at low arousal environments so he is not over stimulated, does he have an item he finds soothing? If so allowing him access to this when he shows signs of becoming overloaded may help prevent a full meltdown. 

Anyway just wanted you to know that you are not alone x