Training, advice and support

Hi all - my 2.5 year old son has been diagnosed with Autism this week. It has been a roller coaster of emotions since. I would be grateful for any advice / help / comments on the following topics from you:

1. How do I get the required training to be the best I can be in terms of dealing with him, educating him and understanding his needs? Are they specific books / online resources / training courses that you would recommend? I know there is a ton of resources out there but I need help filtering it.

2. How do I get a better understanding of what part of the spectrum he is in? I have spoken to the doctors but the most I got was: "the clearest indication of the diagnosis is his interaction and sociability" - and I do not know how exactly to interpret that. What does it mean for the future ? What should we focus on etc ?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Ravin

Parents
  • Hi, 

Welcome to the forum, firstly give yourself time to accept the diagnosis! Even when you have been waiting for it you still need time to process.

As for training, nas has several courses available that will give you an understanding of autism. As for the best way to help him, well goes without saying but unconditional love is the most amazing thing for him. That said this site is also packed with information on communication skills,  challenging behaviour, and alot of information on his rights. 

You know your son best, if he is struggling with communication read up on pecs and other communication aids, if he is struggling with sensory problems focus there. 

The services directory on this site will also give you an idea of what is available in your area 

This forum is full of amazing people who are so helpful so is a good place for advice, nas also run a parent to parent service I'm sure that the link is on this site but having trouble finding it at the moment! 

Wishing you all the best x 

• Hi, 

Welcome to the forum, firstly give yourself time to accept the diagnosis! Even when you have been waiting for it you still need time to process.

As for training, nas has several courses available that will give you an understanding of autism. As for the best way to help him, well goes without saying but unconditional love is the most amazing thing for him. That said this site is also packed with information on communication skills,  challenging behaviour, and alot of information on his rights. 

You know your son best, if he is struggling with communication read up on pecs and other communication aids, if he is struggling with sensory problems focus there. 

The services directory on this site will also give you an idea of what is available in your area 

This forum is full of amazing people who are so helpful so is a good place for advice, nas also run a parent to parent service I'm sure that the link is on this site but having trouble finding it at the moment! 

Wishing you all the best x 

Children
No Data