Can not believe how useless sons school have been - how to complain?

Son is 15 now. Hes had "issues" for around two years but only got formally diagnosed last october (I guess we all know what CAMHS are like). CAMHS at the time sent the letter to school also.

We've had various conversations over the years with the school with various head of years etc. For instance, he has a bit of a toilet thing so they let him use disabled toilets. They did also sort out counselling with a person that came to the school.

Fast forward to last week. School parents evening. NONE of his teachers knew he had been diagnosed.

Had a chat with the Special Needs teacher. Sat next to her was a lady who I remembered. So I mentioned son to her - never heard of him, not aware. Her assistant had and had arranged the counselling sessions (but obviously had not told her colleague). I asked why they hadn't informed his teachers - not seen the letter.

Turns out the letter arrived at the school last October and has only now been seen by the Special Needs lady. Nice one. Even then only because I mentioned it at parents evening.

She phoned today and was really rude. Not her fault apparently and, anyway, we should be grateful that a meeting has now been sorted in MAY between CAMHS and the school. This should all have happened 18 months ago!

Surely a Special Needs teachers job is to read letters from CAMHS about the pupils? Otherwise I can't see the point.

They have been useless. Whats the best way to complain? To the governors? MP? Council?

Parents
  • You are right it is the senco's responsibility to inform relevant persons regarding a child deemed as having special needs it is one of the main parts of their job. Even prior to your sons diagnosis she should have been aware that he was awaiting assessment and presented you with information about what the school can do to support him this is all clearly defined in the 2014 revised Sen code of practice. 

As for complaints, start with the head teacher as they are responsible for the senco doing their job. If head gives you an unsatisfactory response go to the governors, 

Have you applied for an ehcp for school from local authorities as the school will have to comply with this.

• Education health care plan it is an agreement that is put in place so the school get extra funding from local authorities to provide additional support for your child 

https://www.gov.uk/children-with-special-educational-needs/extra-SEN-help

Link for information on direct gov, also check education pages on here they give loads of info about them

• Worryingly - it seems it would never have made it to the senco. It had arrived at school and been "filed". Only because I told them it had been sent did they go and look for it and find it. Worrying.

• Agreed there are ways to communicate with staff and with parents i.e. there is no reason to be rude. 4-5 months is a long time

• Well yes I get that. But I am going to complain. If its caused by lack of resources then fair enough. BUT I've got a feeling its been caused by someone either not following procedure or not bothering.

After all, how can an important letter from CAMHS about a pupil be delivered and then never make it to the senco person, only doing so months later when the parent points this out? Thats incompetence from someone.

• I can see where you're coming from of course. But theres something badly wrong when teachers dont speak to each other and important letters about pupils get "lost" for 4/5 months after being delivered to the school (they found it this week because I told them last week it had been sent). Someone has recieved that letter and filled it away somewhere and not actioned it.

Also, the senco teacher has been really aggressive. If things have done wrong then be a bit humble about and do your best to sort it out. All we've had is excuses, blame laid on other teachers in the same school and basically been told, don't moan,  you're lucky we're sorting it out now.

• It takes the school forever to get the funding, and as Ellie has said the amount of children needing support has grown massively where as the local authority funding for this has decreased so schools are expected to cover from the normal budget and they just don't have it. 

Many campaigns going on at moment about this, but it is no excuse for the senco not doing their job or even informing you of your options. 

I am lucky that my daughter has a fantastic senco at present who is so helpful even though we have no diagnosis yet, however I do dread the change to secondary school in a few years! 

• You may have guessed that I work in the sector...

...at work now... 12 hour working day today... 14 hours tomorrow... full day teaching Friday... plus working the weekend.

:)

• You may have guessed that I work in the sector...

...at work now... 12 hour working day today... 14 hours tomorrow... full day teaching Friday... plus working the weekend.

:)

Children
  • Worryingly - it seems it would never have made it to the senco. It had arrived at school and been "filed". Only because I told them it had been sent did they go and look for it and find it. Worrying.

• Agreed there are ways to communicate with staff and with parents i.e. there is no reason to be rude. 4-5 months is a long time

• Well yes I get that. But I am going to complain. If its caused by lack of resources then fair enough. BUT I've got a feeling its been caused by someone either not following procedure or not bothering.

After all, how can an important letter from CAMHS about a pupil be delivered and then never make it to the senco person, only doing so months later when the parent points this out? Thats incompetence from someone.

• I can see where you're coming from of course. But theres something badly wrong when teachers dont speak to each other and important letters about pupils get "lost" for 4/5 months after being delivered to the school (they found it this week because I told them last week it had been sent). Someone has recieved that letter and filled it away somewhere and not actioned it.

Also, the senco teacher has been really aggressive. If things have done wrong then be a bit humble about and do your best to sort it out. All we've had is excuses, blame laid on other teachers in the same school and basically been told, don't moan,  you're lucky we're sorting it out now.