In shock at new diagnosis. How did you all feel?

Long story short my son has had noticable problems since he started nursery at the age of 2 cut to now hes just turned 5 and i was told by his consultant he would see him once more after he turned 5 and then take him to the panel. So yesterday we went to this app which was meant to be the last before panel and was floored to say the least when he just came out with diagnosis of asd. If im honest i think i am still in shock . I am gutted and ive cried and i worry that now hes got this label for life and thiers no more " he might grow out of it " . 

Im happy as i no we can reach out for support now with this im scared because qe have faught this battle on our own for so long to let new people in

I dont really no where we go from here either  he gave me a number for a course n said he qould get intouch with certain people to get intouch with me but nothin spercific as such then said he would be discharging him as his only job was to diagnose him.   

Where do we go from here ?what happens. I heard every autistic child should have a keyworker is this correct . If so from where and what do they do ? Im so confussed right now if im honest im finding it hard to process. Weve known for a while but having it in black and white is hard to see. I love him god i love him so much and wouldnt change him for the world i gyess im after advise to see what others did after diagnosis. Will it help or isit allways going to be a battle 

Parents
  • I think it takes time to get used to a diagnosis. It didn't make a huge difference to me until several months had passed. I don't think it will always be a battle - I am sure that in time you will find it really helpful. The more you know about a person the better - you will be able to understand him more and get lots of tips and ideas about how to adapt your own behaviours. You might even find that it leads to some very fun times. 

• I think it takes time to get used to a diagnosis. It didn't make a huge difference to me until several months had passed. I don't think it will always be a battle - I am sure that in time you will find it really helpful. The more you know about a person the better - you will be able to understand him more and get lots of tips and ideas about how to adapt your own behaviours. You might even find that it leads to some very fun times. 

Children
No Data