Diagnosis - Positiivity - future

Hello all,

My 11 year old daughter is awaiting a paediatric appt for sleep anxiety.  I really hope she will be given melatonin so she can sleep.

i am going to chat with them about a diagnosis for aspergers, I’ve read up and i do feel would « tick the boxes » 

My questions are -:

What are the actual benefits for her to have a diagnosis ? Will this definitely be a positive thing ? Also in terms of school / life 

How have other children felt about being diagnosed ? I am’concerned about her reaction to that.  She struggles already feeling different. 

Thanks in advance for any responses,

lady who needs advice ! 

• Hey, 

you may like to have a look through the children diagnosis section here on the NAS website. It’ll give you more info on where to go next and what to expect in the diagnosis process. Here’s a link...  https://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/children.aspx 

Hope this helps, 

SteveMod 

• Thanks so much, I’m awaiting a meeting at school next week.  For my daughter I have worked out a pre sleep routine with breathing, relaxation and a meditation story, followed by more breathing and relaxation. The books are called « Nigjtligjts » on amazon.  They are probably perfect for an 8 year old too. Our routine doesn’t always work ! It depends on the day she’s has and the day ahead and if the routine isn’t « perfect » good luck with your little girl, we are striving for the best. 

• Diagnosis can be a positive thing, I'm trying to get my 8 year old daughter assessed at the moment, she also suffers from major sleep problems (last night we got an hour and a half!) 

As far as I know most places don't diagnose aspergers any more it just falls under asd, but it may help your daughter understand why she feels different, instead of thinking that she somehow wrong it can help her understand so it is not a problem for her adding to anxiety. As for school I would talk to the school senco to see what it would mean for her they may be able to help prior to diagnosis.

Good luck