Any coping strategies in secondary school?

Hi, I’m new to this community so apologies if this is already answered somewhere. Has anyone found anything particular that helps their secondary school child get through the school day more easily? My daughter is 11 and so stressed out about school. We have given in to giving her lifts to/from school to ease the anxiety but sitting in a classroom where she finds it hard to process information quickly enough or remember what she should be doing is so tiring. Time out would help but she doesn’t want people to see her as different. Any ideas gratefully received! Thank you.

Parents
  • Greetings. Hopefully others shall respond with more useful answers for you... Please do not vote me down too much, as this struck a sensitive chord with myself...!

she doesn’t want people to see her as different.

...This will likely happen anyway, with resultant Bullying, unless one learns to so-called "Mask"... 

To help get through the day in general, a safe place/area needs to be found, a retreat, when T.M.I. occurs. This Saftey can be in or out of school grounds, but I myself would have very much liked to know that I could simply tell a Teacher that I needed protection and/or quiet for a bit, and they would allow it. Sometimes I could say this, and a Teacher would allow Me to be in a 'Teacher-only' area, and this helped Me a great deal... but things would be different for you and everyone, and so just keep mentioning it to the school, and do pay great attention to your child's own pace and requirements. Do not over-emphasize or fuss. Pay attention to your child's moods and notice the unusual (withdrawn, anxious, unusual requests, lost property, or anything like that.).

There should be NAS links for this sort of thing, but I cannot access them while writing this Post or the whole Post will disappear...!

Good Luck Anyway. May your Daughter have a happier (school-)life  than Mine was... *ahem*...!

• Greetings. Hopefully others shall respond with more useful answers for you... Please do not vote me down too much, as this struck a sensitive chord with myself...!

she doesn’t want people to see her as different.

...This will likely happen anyway, with resultant Bullying, unless one learns to so-called "Mask"... 

To help get through the day in general, a safe place/area needs to be found, a retreat, when T.M.I. occurs. This Saftey can be in or out of school grounds, but I myself would have very much liked to know that I could simply tell a Teacher that I needed protection and/or quiet for a bit, and they would allow it. Sometimes I could say this, and a Teacher would allow Me to be in a 'Teacher-only' area, and this helped Me a great deal... but things would be different for you and everyone, and so just keep mentioning it to the school, and do pay great attention to your child's own pace and requirements. Do not over-emphasize or fuss. Pay attention to your child's moods and notice the unusual (withdrawn, anxious, unusual requests, lost property, or anything like that.).

There should be NAS links for this sort of thing, but I cannot access them while writing this Post or the whole Post will disappear...!

Good Luck Anyway. May your Daughter have a happier (school-)life  than Mine was... *ahem*...!

Children
No Data