Autistic parent of autistic children

Hi

I’m new here and feel anxious reaching out and typing this. I’m a single mum with autism going through a very challenging time with my two autistic teenaged daughters. Are there any other autistic single parents with more than one autistic teen out here? I feel very isolated and like nobody knows what life is like but am I really that unusual? 

• Hi

Thank you so much for your reply, it means a lot to me. You’re right, it’s support and understanding that’s important rather than being in the same situation. Your message has already made me feel less on my own. Thank you.

Good luck with your daughter’s assessment. Neither of my girls scored particularly highly on the ADOS but we were lucky enough to have intelligent, informed professionals who could acknowledge the limits of ADOS for diagnosing some autistic girls. I hope it’s not too stressful and brings you answers and support.

best wishes x

• Hi, 

I'm not an autistic parent and my daughter who is being assessed for asd is only 8, I'm not in the same situation as you but I just wanted to let you know that I read your post this forum is full of amazing people who can help and although we may not be in the same situation we are here for help and advice.

Good luck x