pharmacological therapy is a real help?

Hello everyone. I am the father of a 21-year-old autistic young man with medium-high functioning. Many of his peers take drugs mainly as mood stabilizers. I have many doubts about the advisability of administering these drugs to my son even if he sometimes shows strong stereotypies and prolonged echolalia. I would really like to know if there are many or few young autistic adults taking drugs and what you think about it.
Parents Reply Children
  • I think they can be helpful, but it depends on the problems and it depends on the drugs and whether the benefits outweigh any possible side-effects.  Most drug therapies are very person dependent, especially psycho-active drugs.  So I would start with have a clear shared understanding of what the problems are with the professionals, and an understanding of what the perceived benefits of the drugs are in relation to the problem.  You probably also want to have eyes-open in terms of any possible side-effects and what might need to be done to manage those.

if it seems reasonable that the drawbacks might be outweighed by the benefits then by all means try the drugs in a controlled experiment to see if they help or not.  I'd suggest keeping the potential side-effects from the person concerned, because they may be something the person might not notice or may be able to cope with.  But if people know the potential side-effects then they tend to look for them and then may therefore miss the benefit because they are obsessing on side effects.  It's probably also worth knowing what the withdrawal plan, if needed, is ahead of time because some of these things may be addictive in different ways and you probably don't want to just stop them if that's the case.