17 month toddler not pointing

Hello,

I am really worried about my son. He just turned 17 months although he was born six weeks early and he is still not pointing with his index finger consistently. He has been pointing at things with his whole hand for a while now and because I have really been working on it he started very occasionally vaguely pointing with his index finger as well. He does a funny sort of wave when he wants and rarely claps. He does imitate us and has about 20 words and 10 animal sounds. He has excellent eye contact and is very interested in people, will smile at everyone. When he plays he doesn't tend to look to see if I am watching but does bring me books and other items to show. One thing is he still wants to breastfeed absolutely all the time and he is quite clingy. He cries whenever I leave the room although he can be consoled and he has this funny fake cry to get me to lift him up. He imitates talking on the phone, feeding dolls etc. 

Do you think I should try to get him assessed or give it some more time? Any advice is much appreciated.

• I would give it more time. My understanding is the general thing with pointing and autism is that they don't do it to draw your attention to things or to show you what they want rather than the actual action of how they point. If he's talking, showing eye contact, an interest in people and is able to take part in imaginary play then there aren't really alarm bells for that age. I'd see how he develops. If there are still behaviours that you think might be an indication when he's a little older then perhaps it's worth exploring. That's only my personal opinion though. If it's really worrying you, go and have a chat with the gp and see what they think.

• Hi, 

I understand you worried, but 17 months can be a bit young some traits can be visible but that really depends on each child the fact he is talking is encouraging, my advice would be talk to your health visitor or doctor if you are concerned they will be able to give better advice although they will probably suggest waiting for his two year check.

My daughter is 8 now and we are trying to get her assessed. At 17 months she had very limited speech walked on tip toes flapped alot hated eye contact or stared so intently it was like she was looking through you she also screamed hysterically if I left her. She developed night terrors about this age and due to that and the delays she was expected to have developing (severe complications after birth ) we left it and didn't push 

At 4 she still had behaviours and didn't sleep we know know alot of her quirks are in fact stims . Anyway peadiatrics agreed and asked gp to refer her (gp didn't bother) now she is at school still doesn't sleep and masks so well it is proving very difficult to get her seen. 

My rambling point is that you know your child the best, talk to hv,gp and stress your concerns maybe wait for 2 year check to give him time but if you still have concerns then push them and don't get fobbed off! Trust your instincts 

Good luck to you x