Partial Diagnosis- Advice Pls

Hi, I am a single mum of a 4yr old boy who has recently seen a Pediatrician regarding social difficulties and violent outbursts. 

We have since received a letter from the hospital diagnosing Social Communication Difficulties, Atypical Sensory Issues and Difficulties with fine motor skills. 

The letter states my son will be discussed with the ASD board over the next 3/4m and they will decide if he is on the spectrum. 

I’m so worried as his behaviour is getting worse every day he starts school in Sept and I don’t have another appointment till August with the hospital. 

Can anyone tell me what I can do if he doesn’t get the diagnosis but is just kept under observation? Is there still support I can get? 

Parents
  • Hi, your sons school should be able to offer support when he starts even if he doesn't have full diagnosis, 

I would recommend making an appointment with the school senco prior to him starting in September and make them aware of any concerns and inform them where you are with appointments they can put support in place straight away, especially since peadiatrics have already confirmed he has social and communication problems. 

As kitsun suggested call the helpline or check the education rights pages on here

Good luck 

• Thank you I will call the advice line today. The problem I have with schools is the ones in my catchment have very low Ofsted and are struggling to stimulate and teach non spectrum children my son is already doing maths for 7-8yr olds reading and writing I fear boredom and lack of stimulation will cause more meltdowns but the SEN team even refused to speak to me because we don’t yet have a care plan in place. 

I feel so helpless.

• That's awful! My daughters school were more than happy to meet us prior to her starting and had several drop in open mornings prior to children starting reception giving you the opportunity to discuss things, the senco is still supporting us and making necessary adjustments. We have no care plan and still no diagnosis. So they can help. 

Check the pages on here or go above the school to local authorities and point out that school won't even discuss with you as they do have a duty to do this. 

I'm sorry that your school is being so unhelpful. Try the helpline as well they can advise what the school must legally do.

• Fingers crossed for you, it does seem to depend where you live to what's available, which is just wrong I years ago we lived in a different area and my eldest suffered childhood deafness and dyslexia his primary schools answer was sit him at the back of the class facing a wall! We ended up sending him out of the catchment area for secondary school best thing we could have done! We now live in that area and the younger children are well supported in school. Downside for us is its a different hospital trust and they are useless and have been passing my daughter around for 4 years and still no diagnosis. So I suppose it really is swings and roundabouts which is just wrong in my opinion. 

Anyway sorry for the rambling, good luck with the meeting! 

• Fingers crossed for you, it does seem to depend where you live to what's available, which is just wrong I years ago we lived in a different area and my eldest suffered childhood deafness and dyslexia his primary schools answer was sit him at the back of the class facing a wall! We ended up sending him out of the catchment area for secondary school best thing we could have done! We now live in that area and the younger children are well supported in school. Downside for us is its a different hospital trust and they are useless and have been passing my daughter around for 4 years and still no diagnosis. So I suppose it really is swings and roundabouts which is just wrong in my opinion. 

Anyway sorry for the rambling, good luck with the meeting! 

Children
No Data