Self Harming 4 Year Old (Mini Boxer)

Hi all, So over the past few months our 4 year old has started punching his head more and more and head-butting . He has headbutted the walls that hard in some places the walls have cracked plaster and inprints in them, We made an appointment and took him to the GP who made a referral to the hospital as we are so scared he is damaging his head. The GP called us today to explain the hospital have refused the referral they can’t really help us. To which I was not happy about at all. They told us to try the local help at home agencies run by the council. I then contacted the health visitor who has said these agencies can’t help she had tried to get there help for another child before and they told her they can’t really help with autism children. So now we are at a loss , my little boy is covered in bruises all over his head and no one can help us. Can anyone advise if they have been through this and who they managed if they did to get help from?

He attends a special school and sleeps for 12 hours at night , we have tried all sorts of things from Pecs cards in case he’s frustrated to watching him and seeing what he likes and dis-likes and trying to minimise the dis-like situations. They doesnt seem to be any common trigger .

We have been told to try and get medication to calm him but I have no clue what would be the right thing for him.

Thanks

Matt

• Hi ,

I am sorry that you are in this difficult situation.

You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice . You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform:

https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

Best wishes,

Chloe Mod