9 year old singing in the playground at school

My son is 9 and attends mainstream primary school. He copes very well and generally enjoys school. He does at times get overwhelmed and has sensory issues.  He sings lots. While this is lovely and he is very good at singing, it has created problems.  We have 2 other children and his singing throughout the night has kept them awake during the night and wakes them up early in the morning.  

At school he sings at breaktime while wandering around by himself.  While this is harmless enough, it started to create unwanted attention from other children, who call him annoying or have mimicked him. I have had several meetings with the school, but they haven't done anything about it, despite saying that the person on playground duty would intervene and distract him, or buddy him up with others.  There is a classroom they can access at break time but he doesn't want to go in there. He can't tell me why he does it, as he can't communicate his feelings.

I would like to get to understand why he is doing this, so we can support him if he needs it.  Ultimately, our worry is that when he progresses to secondary school, he will become the target of bullies and ridicule at breaktime. It is a constant worry as he is vulnerable and probably wouldn't recognise it as bullying either.  

I just wondered if anyone has any similar experience with their children? how can I find out why he is doing it? did you manage to stop the behaviour? how did you manage the behaviour or what did your school do to help?

Thank you - any help would be appreciated.

Parents
  • Sounds like he most definitely has a hidden talent! My son too has an overwhelming need to sing at all sorts of times which can take most people by complete surprise and for others to wonder why.

We have (had to!) embraced this as it is very much part of his way of making sense of the world and finding a way of communicating how he feels/or empathises with others without telling us directly. We suggested our school formed a choir club which has made him feel included and is totally inclusive with all children accessing the club. He feels part of something that has a need for 'practice' and more importantly the other children also felt OK with practicing singing wherever.... even in the loo! 

If your school are not so keen on this idea there are many choirs or singing clubs or you could ask the local county 'short breaks' team if they know of any local clubs he could join with children with similar interests/needs.

You might also buy him a small keyboard (with headphones!!!) so that he can create his own music or use the default tunes he will I am sure recognise.

I have attached a link to a young man who, like our little men started young with singing as his voice to the world. Do have a read and see how very amazing he has become, a real star performer as I am sure our little darlings will be too!: http://www.autismsupportnetwork.com/news/severely-autistic-non-verbal-man-stuns-public-remarkable-singing-3789242

Similarly your worries about secondary school could be dealt with in his transition planning to secondary with an insistance for a plan to be put in place for a club for singing. He will I am sure love Music studies at secondary school. 

Best wishes xx

• Sounds like he most definitely has a hidden talent! My son too has an overwhelming need to sing at all sorts of times which can take most people by complete surprise and for others to wonder why.

We have (had to!) embraced this as it is very much part of his way of making sense of the world and finding a way of communicating how he feels/or empathises with others without telling us directly. We suggested our school formed a choir club which has made him feel included and is totally inclusive with all children accessing the club. He feels part of something that has a need for 'practice' and more importantly the other children also felt OK with practicing singing wherever.... even in the loo! 

If your school are not so keen on this idea there are many choirs or singing clubs or you could ask the local county 'short breaks' team if they know of any local clubs he could join with children with similar interests/needs.

You might also buy him a small keyboard (with headphones!!!) so that he can create his own music or use the default tunes he will I am sure recognise.

I have attached a link to a young man who, like our little men started young with singing as his voice to the world. Do have a read and see how very amazing he has become, a real star performer as I am sure our little darlings will be too!: http://www.autismsupportnetwork.com/news/severely-autistic-non-verbal-man-stuns-public-remarkable-singing-3789242

Similarly your worries about secondary school could be dealt with in his transition planning to secondary with an insistance for a plan to be put in place for a club for singing. He will I am sure love Music studies at secondary school. 

Best wishes xx

Children
No Data