Starting School in September... any advice???

Hi Parents/Carers.

I've just started the most difficult process, trying to find the best Autistic school for my Daughter. She's due to start this Sept. I feel like I have no idea where to begin.... Any advice from anyone who has been through this process or is currently going through... Any schools anyone could perhaps recommend, although I do understand that every child in unique and all have different needs.

Thank you so much!

I also wanted to take the time to appreciate all Autism parents x

Lilia

Parents
  • You should probably start with what your daughter can & can't do, and whereabouts you live if you want recommendations :)

• yes of course, thank you for your response.... She's verbal although delayed, not yet toilet trained, she has sensory processing disorder which impacts so much on her learning, learning difficulties, she doesn't social much with children(prefers adults), very active, therefore finds it very difficult to sit and pay attention, enjoys painting, crafts, books, figures, lots and lots of messy/sensory play. We live in central London (Southwark Borough) 

:)

• Have you tried the directory on this site you can refine services by needs and area this should give you a good starting point, then as someone else has said phone around make sure a) they meet your childs needs B) have available spaces c) that you feel comfortable with them! Then try to book a visit most schools offer this, as well as a meeting to ensure that the school is right for your child 

• Have you tried the directory on this site you can refine services by needs and area this should give you a good starting point, then as someone else has said phone around make sure a) they meet your childs needs B) have available spaces c) that you feel comfortable with them! Then try to book a visit most schools offer this, as well as a meeting to ensure that the school is right for your child 

Children