school not meeting sons emotional needs

Hello!

My son has a diagnosis of ASD and he is 10. People describe him as high functioning ASD as he is not delayed in his educational ability, its more emotional regulation and anxiety. He is in mainstream school, year six and is really struggling to cope emotionally at school, having regular meltdowns, which then takes along time to contain after school.

I'm really concerned that his emotional needs are not being met at school and the meltdowns are becoming more frequent. He is in a class of 30 children with a teacher and a TA.

What is the best way to assess if his needs are being met as I feel at a loss of how to help him.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you

• Hello, 

Does he have an EHCP? If so I would ask for a review. If not, maybe look at getting one. They're not an easy process (what is!) but if school can't meet his needs then you have a pretty good chance of getting one. It will come in handy for high school as well! If anything, he should at least have an IEP (individual education plan) and I would look at that as well and see what is on there. There are lots of changes at the moment for kids at school and this maybe what's causing the emotional behaviour. Does your son know what's upsetting him? Can he communicate what is going on for him there? The important thing is to have good communication with him and with school and find out what is going on for him while he's there, then educate the teachers on how best to meet his needs. You are the expert on your son.

Hope this helps. 

• Hi NAS39174,

It sounds like you might benefit from looking at the page on the NAS site 'Extra help for your child' - https://www.autism.org.uk/about/in-education/extra-help-in-school.aspx - which outlines ways you can get extra support for your child based on where you are in the country, and how to advocate for your child through the various education authorities, as well as the Education Rights Service - https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/education-rights.aspx - which can offer advice and support to you on communicating your needs to your child's school.

Hope this is of some help,

Ross - mod