Missing special needs support a "national scandal"

In today's news:

The thousands of children missing out on key support for diagnosed special educational needs in England is a "national scandal", Ofsted has said.

Chief inspector of England's schools, Amanda Spielman, reveals 2,060 children with official education, health and care plans (EHCs) setting out their needs receive no support at all.
She also raises the issue of children disappearing from education.
Some parents said a child is only assessed when they are excluded.

Ms Spielman says: "Too often, children who have been assessed still do not receive the services they need."
She uses her annual report to expose what she describes as a "bleak picture" of too many children "failed by the education system".

Link to article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46400397

Parents Reply Children
  • All I know is the mainstream school I work in they get practically no additional funding for sen children the staff have been cut and the extras they are expected to provide in school is more than should be happening. But I'm lucky the staff there put in there own time so the children don't miss out but it's not sustainable. I agree parents are the first people responsible for caring for children but it is not good enough when you go to the NHS for help with your childs needs and they send you back to the school as you are not qualified to decide whether your child has a problem this then puts more strain on the school especially when the child seems to function in class. Ofsted are the ones that keep piling pressure on schools and to me it looks like they are playing teachers and parents against each other which helps no one. 

I might be way off for other areas but this is what I see in my kids school and our local NHS trust