6 year old not learning at school

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before. Our 6 yr old son is now in primary in an Edinburgh school. 

He was diagnosed with ASD at age 4. In Scotland it seems most ASD kids go to mainstream school. Our little boy is often referred to as having his own agenda. 

Unfortunately he doesn't really pay attention at school. I am doing extra work with him in the evenings but he is quite simply falling further behind. I asked the school for 1:1 time  for him but only managed toget 20 mins per day literacy and 6 mins per day numeracy. It's heartbreaking just watching him fall further and further behind. Any advice on the formal steps to escalete tjhis in Scotland would be welcome.

Parents
  • Hi not read all replies j7st want say my daughter who's 6 in Jan j7st started p1 mid August there all Scottish school. We've no diagnosis but I my self am ASD. I just had meeting in school today and my girl like your son is struggling with school work think she said someone's doing phonics with her so presume she's getting some 1:1 they have kept her on same books as rest her primary as they don't want her fall behind and I mentioned I was struggling at home get her do home work maybe tell help me there. I currently read from a sheet the story and there are a few words in book now for her but she looks at me to sound it out and even ones she's seen on previous page she still says wrong word she guesses. "The" has now become "and" she knows "a" so I asked her does "the" begun with 'a' she laughed and went no but she constantly looks at me like she's waiting for me tell her what it is I try not to but end up sounding it out I don't know if she under stands as school says she can copy what they write but if they ask her point say floppy out she can't I've had her do this at home had some words home she recognised dad but then she later asked me how to spell dad it confused me. Her grandad been helping her for 2 yrs to know difference between letters and numbers she can badly count 10 don't ask her do up to 20 she skips few them  am sorry am so clueless an all a school can do I live in highlands in rural area so small school so can likly get more 1:1 time. School are getting speech involved for my daughter to see what she can understand speech wise as she cried when asked simple questions and looks at teacher like she has two heads ( I know her look well). Breaks my heart to know she's struggling. I hope cab get help they need soon 

• Hi there,

Oh I know how you feel. It's all worrying and heartbreaking. 

It sounds like your daughter is struggling so I'd say that experts need to look into this to find out why.

So The school are Getting Speech and language involved that is good as they will hopefully be able to determine if there is any issue(s) with speech and language. 

I think you might also benefit from a clearer understanding of what is happening at school and what the school are doing. I am no expert here but perhaps go back to the school, either her teacher or the head or deputy head teacher, whoever you feel most comfortable with. Ask for another meeting or for a chat. When you have the meeting or chat perhaps have some pre-prepared questions written out. Show them or tell rthem that these are the questions that are worrying you.

I'd like to ask more people on this site if they have any ideas for this?
    Please chip in if you have any advice for seaweed

• Thank you. They are doing speech referal and her main teacher who's been absent is back mid next week think part time at first so she can start getting to know my daughter etc and someone else can focus on her as well. Told they would 're access in Feb so having a meeting in Feb. They sent her home today with food diary so I know what she's eaten was a good day today. I feel so out of depth I have no clue all support she could have etc or even what can be done to help her. They mentioned she's getting help with phonics just now.

• Thank you. They are doing speech referal and her main teacher who's been absent is back mid next week think part time at first so she can start getting to know my daughter etc and someone else can focus on her as well. Told they would 're access in Feb so having a meeting in Feb. They sent her home today with food diary so I know what she's eaten was a good day today. I feel so out of depth I have no clue all support she could have etc or even what can be done to help her. They mentioned she's getting help with phonics just now.

Children
No Data