Paediatric neurodisability assessment?

Hi

My son's currently being assessed for ASD and the next step in the process is a paediatric neurodisability assessment (tomorrow). I've no idea what to expect and wondered if anyone's been through similar and could give clues? There's a questionnaire that asks when he first smiled, babbled, reached for objects. I really can't remember as he's 12 now and my memory is appalling. It's a 1 hr appointment and I'm terrified of missing something. We then have an appointment with a private assessment company that CAMHS have passed us on to (can't get them to return my call to book appointment which is frustrating) and that will be it. 

Thanks for any advice or info.

Ellie

• Thank you very much Heather, that's really helpful. Turns out appointment only lasted about 30 mins and was checking for causes other than autism which can cause similar issues - and we've been offered genetic screening but have to think about that.

Son was asked where he'd been skiving off to when he got to school and replied "I've been for an appointment to see if I have brain damage" - sort of correct but can imagine how taken aback the questioner was by that response! Anyway, just 2 hrs of assessment with pyschologist (for him) and 2 hrs with psychiatrist (for me and his Dad) and we're done with assessments. Assuming school complete the questionnaires they've been asked to do.

His brother on the other hand, who's 17, has to wait till he's 18 to be referred because there's no point referring to CAMHS as he wouldn't be seen, but referral to adult services can't be made till he turns 18. Farcical!!

• Hi Ellie, 

Good luck with the appointment today, hope everything goes well for you and your son.  I'm sure they'll talk you through everything in the appointment but you may like to have a read of this link, including the National Autism Plan for Children to see what you are likely to expect and what you can ask during the assessment . Please scroll down to the bottom of the page and go to page 3 on summary report, page 11 for full report for the Essential Components for a complete multi agency assessment:

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/children.aspx 

Kind regards,

Heather - Mod