9 year old Aspergers behaviour and discipline.

Hi there, 

My son was diagnosed 1 year ago at age 8 just as his sister was born! We have had an indication since age 4 years old due to poor social skills. 

Im seeking out anyone in a similar situation? This parenting lark can feel rather isolating with no one to relate too!!!

My daughter is now 1 we are finding my sons immaturity, hyperactivity, listening and behaviour to be worsening however I expect this is due to having an exciting one year old around. Obviously our attention is now shared between the both where as before my son had one to one.

I’m hoping my sons behaviour will improve with time although his immaturity does bring concern as he heads towards teenage years! 

Our biggest issue is finding a discipline that works. Currently we use a traffic light system. If three warnings are used my son would go onto amber resulting in loosing his electronics for two hours on a weekend, his watch and ftball cards! We soon realised my son was thinking it’s ok I have two warnings to waste before amber so we scaled it down to two warnings! 

Is anyone in a similar situation and uses an effective discipline method? I’m wondering if discipline would be more effective if just something was removed that day then afresh the following (here and now). I’m searching out for help as I’m at a loss.

Thank you in advance 

• I know what you mean, I'm lucky enough to work in her school at lunchtime so she copes that little bit better knowing that I'm close if she can't cope. But her quirks keep me on my toes! My main problem is sleep, I'm lucky if she manages 3-5 hours a night and not all at once! 

• Thank you for your reply nice to speak to someone in a similar situation! 

I appreaciate it could be much worse but sometimes for our selfs and my son i wish he didn’t have Aspergers as everything often feels like a challenge. The school playground can feel so isolating as you are forever on edge trying to prevent any outburst or in appropriate behaviour 

Kind regards 

• My daughter is nearly 8 and awaiting diagnosis I also have a 6 yr old and one of 10 months, I find that she can get obsessional about the baby ie someone used baby talk at him now all she does is repeat this at him aswell as extreme peek a boo (shouts it in his face while he sleeps ) it seems she got the idea that's what you do with babies so she has to do it! 

We use a similar system for taking things away but it is applied the same day (may last for several days) as we found that she did not grasp the concept of later date neither did her sister they would just carry on as it did not affect them then but when it came to the weekend it was just going through the same arguments and causing more stress. They both respond better to immediate effect this is not to say it is easy as it can cause some stupendous screaming fits! But as it is fresh in there minds it is easier to explain