Homework

Hi There,

I work with children who have autism and I am currently looking for ideas from parents in how they would like to be able to support their child with their homework and what resources they think would be good to use.

As well as this, I would like to find out what your child finds the most difficult and are there any improvements you feel that the school your child is at could do better?

Look forward to hearing your views

Thanks

Ashleigh

Parents
  • Hello and welcome.

I appreciate that my answer isn't going to help you but autistic people like routine in general, there are places and times for different things, this is the big you won't like, school is for working and home is for, well, being at home. You cannot expect someone who at the best of times has problems to do difficult work type stuff at home where their support/1to 1/ teacher isn't. You are asking for troubles melt downs, unhappiness, frustration, etc.  

For clarity I am answering as a 51 year old autistic woman with 5 children 2 of whom are autistic. I also hugely value education and have a degree. 

• I am currently studying for my degree in Special Needs and for my assignment i currently looking at  areas to develop within the school system to help those that have autism.

If there were to be any changes what would you like to see?

• What changes would I like to see?

I would like each child to be educated to their own potential

I would like teachers to stop bullying them in an effort to force them to fit into the pre designated child at age x must be able to do Y to level z.

I would like the system to stop torturing children especially ND children by forcing them to do things that they are clearly not able to do.

I would like every one to accept them for who they are.

• What changes would I like to see?

I would like each child to be educated to their own potential

I would like teachers to stop bullying them in an effort to force them to fit into the pre designated child at age x must be able to do Y to level z.

I would like the system to stop torturing children especially ND children by forcing them to do things that they are clearly not able to do.

I would like every one to accept them for who they are.

Children
No Data