Helping

I am currently in my last year of school and i am doing a design technology project on helping someone with autism. I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some ideas of things that help with autism. I would like to make something that can actually benefit them, so after doing some research i found things such as sensory lights or sound proof headphones. I chose to do this topic as i hope to learn more about autism in order to help friends i know with it. I would appreciate any help or suggestions, thanks 

• Very much depends on the person; we're a very diverse bunch when it comes down to how our autism affects our interaction with the world around us. 

Sensory hypersensitivity is a good area, though; many of us have such issues and you will often see autistic people wearing darkened or tinted glasses and/or ear defenders of some description to help tone-down the outside world.

It would help if you could get your autistic friend/s involved in the project; ask them what they specifically find difficult that you could design something to help with. 

If I had to think of an example of something I would like to exist, it would be an affordable, subtle, iPod-style headphone (not an in-ear one, as I find those very uncomfortable to wear for a significant amount of time) that is comfortable enough to wear most of the time, blocks outside sound as well as full construction-site-style ear defenders but through which I could play music if desired. There's a design challenge for you! Slight smile