Please help !

Hi there, 

I'm looking for a bit of advice with our 5 year old boy recently diagnosed with ASD.

It's now getting to the point when we fear to take him out to the playground, softplay even supermarket as he runs at babies (and they are everywhere as you know) in the prams, carriers and either presses on their chest or tries to poke them in the eye! 

It's getting more and more upsetting /although I am always watching him and trying to block this unwanted behaviour/ to keep on apologizing daily and getting strange looks and comments from the parents...

We have tried explaining , social stories, even getting toy-babies but nothing seems to work...

Please help I am willing to try anything as staying at home all day can't be the answer ! 

Many thanks 

Parents
  • To get onto the topic at hand, BlueBabyBoyMum, it's likely that he just really likes babies and doesn't quite understand that he is causing them discomfort by being so hands-on. 

Hopefully he will grow out of it. I used to be very similar with dogs, even strange ones, despite being taught again and again that
    A. doing so was very dangerous.
    B. I might upset them.

Nothing sunk in for a long time. I very nearly got bitten around the face outside my primary school when I was 7; the dog's teeth actually grazed my head as I jumped back (I didn't tell anyone until much later because I was scared the dog would get the blame, so I was old enough to understand consequences, but I just couldn't stop being too forward with dogs).

What did help, eventually, was replacing my innate, unsuccessful "greet" behaviours towards dogs with new ones that were more dog-friendly. We did this by treating the new approach as a sort of "dog meet-and-greet ritual" (autistic kids are all about rituals) that we would do religiously, approaching it almost like a little game. I learned to put my hand out to the dog flat, so that it could sniff me, wait until it wagged its tail, then approach. 

Is there some sort of similar ritual you could get Eddie to associate with babies (by doing it yourself with him, etc.), rather than expecting him to leave them alone entirely (e.g. make peekaboo motions with them three times, or something)?
    Does a friend have a baby you can rely on to give him a positive response (i.e. let him play with them) to said ritual as reinforcement? 

You might still get weird looks of course but a 1 minute "baby greeting ritual" would give you enough time to get to him and prevent him getting overly hands-on! ;)

• I must also comment (as I cannot seem to PM you) to warn you be very wary of potential autism "cures" that you may see, if you post things like "Please help I am willing to try anything" (I understand that feeling of desperation, it can be very hard on the whole family, it was on mine when I was young). 

Our best current evidence points to autism being hereditary and lifelong (it is certainly possible that conditions exist that may come on later and display similar symptoms, which may or may not be curable, but your son's history as you've written it points very strongly towards true "always-there" autism). 

There are many things you can do to make your son's life easier and improve his interactions with the world around him but I would be extremely suspicious of any "instant cure-all" solutions which may 
    A. Do more harm than good
    B. Cost you a lot of money for no benefit
    and/or
    C. Distract attention from potential proven strategies that may improve your son's quality of life.
    And always speak to a qualified GP/child psychologist first.

I'm sure you already know all this, but I would feel guilty if that wasn't the case and I didn't comment so I feel compelled to do so. I hope you can excuse it if I come off blunt or patronising; not my intention. 

Best of luck to you both, I hope Eddie's interactions with babies are more successful in the future! x Slight smile

• Hi Emma,

Thank you so much I would definitely try your suggestions,  unfortunately I don't have anyone with baby to help but will try with baby-dolls . I do realise that I shouldn't have said 'please help I'm willing to try anything ! ' as it might comes across wrong ... All I was after was some tips, techniques even to hear that someone's child is doing something similar.... I had a chat about it with child psychologist and she said she have never heard of anyone with this behaviour towards babies...

I am terrified that he is going to seriously hurt someone...

He does get physical if someone is crying so it gets extra hard when we're out at playground or soft play.

Eddie once kicked a dog and laughed afterwards and few times after that he tried again and we always stopped him..He doesn't seems to do it anymore..

It is not just babies, he would go for babies if they are there but pushes over toddlers too..

He is smiling afterwards... So scary...

I think he just wants to be friends and he really loves babies but I'm getting to the point when I have to force myself to take him out and it always ends up with 'incident.'

Thanks again Emma really do appreciate your help ! 

• I completely agree thank you so much for all your kind words Lonewarrior !

NAS 38972 Who ??? 

Reply Children
No Data