is private assessment accepted by NHS?

hello everyone

I am mother of two years old son. I suspect him having mild autism. We already seen language therapist and she confirmed my suspects and now we are on the waiting list for assessment.  It could take long time. I do not want to wait for too long because with big help on time my son could possible 'growth out' the autism. We started thinking of private assessment. My question is: is private assessment accepted by NHS? What happens after assessment? 

Parents
  • It depends on how a private assessment happens.

I can get a private assessment as an adult that is recognised by the NHS (so essentially an NHS assessment that I am paying for myself) as the referal has to initially come from my GP so that the results and feedback can go on my medical records. The service providers see no point in someone having a diagnosis or assessment that is not recognised by the NHS because it won't help with further support requests. To go by the NHS route in my area takes around 3 years IF you can get on the list to start with. The private route is 3-6 weeks for me! Applies to both children and adults.

So...the NHS and any benefit agencies probably won't recognise a private assessment and diagnosis. But there are services out there that you can self fund for an NHS recognised outcome.

Reply Children
No Data