Should we go private or not?

Our 4yo daughter recently had a private pre-assessment with a doctor who says it is highly likely she is on the spectrum. This manifests at preschool as mutism and complete lack of engagement with group activities. We are torn now about what to do next. Do we go private or wait for an nhs appointment? She’s starting school and we’re worried about how she will get on but I’m also worried about the impact of the assessment and possible diagnostic. At home she is ok but with increasing temper tantrums and stubbornness. She really struggles with other kids though. I’ve read that some LAs don’t accept private diagnoses and i’m also worried about escalating costs if we get into the private sphere. We’re in Cambs. 

Parents
  • If you wait for the NHS it may be a long wait. I have heard some kids have had to wait years.  We did go privet (took 2 months), however the school still needs to run it's process so our little one will not get his 1:1 until the new year.  They need 2 terms with diagnoses, the school Psychologist needs to come in to see him as well.  He is 6 yrs, going into year 2.  The entire process for us from diagnoses to 1:1 will be just over a year.  I have hear people wait longer just for a diagnoses.  I did find a psychiatrist that also works with the NHS as well.  My son meltdowns were not as bad when he was younger but as he has to deal with school & structure his frustration and ability to cope has become less.  He also will not join in group activities but the school has been great with him.  Having a great supportive team is the best. I hope you find this.   I would like to say that your little girl is not not trying to be stubborn, they really struggle.  They struggle with rigidity, they are actually have an inability to to be as flexible as we wish or other children are. This is a tough time and I wish you all the best.  

• If you wait for the NHS it may be a long wait. I have heard some kids have had to wait years.  We did go privet (took 2 months), however the school still needs to run it's process so our little one will not get his 1:1 until the new year.  They need 2 terms with diagnoses, the school Psychologist needs to come in to see him as well.  He is 6 yrs, going into year 2.  The entire process for us from diagnoses to 1:1 will be just over a year.  I have hear people wait longer just for a diagnoses.  I did find a psychiatrist that also works with the NHS as well.  My son meltdowns were not as bad when he was younger but as he has to deal with school & structure his frustration and ability to cope has become less.  He also will not join in group activities but the school has been great with him.  Having a great supportive team is the best. I hope you find this.   I would like to say that your little girl is not not trying to be stubborn, they really struggle.  They struggle with rigidity, they are actually have an inability to to be as flexible as we wish or other children are. This is a tough time and I wish you all the best.  

Children
No Data