Taewondo and other Martial Arts

Hi all,

I enjoy Taekwondo, and my (diagnosed) son did for a few years. I've noticed that ASD kids seem to get on better with Taekwondo than other sports, and I was wondering if anyone on here has kids that enjoy it, and what its is they enjoy about it above other sports? Thanks all :-)

• No problem, glad I could help. Everyone watched boxing in my family as a kid but my mom didn't want me to do it, I used to have to sneak off. I loved the fighters I watched as a kid. Boxing's still good but it doesn't have the depth it did in the 80's, 90's or early 2000's.

I was good on drills, bag work and pads but I found sparring rough at first because I couldn't control my nerves and sometimes my anger. I wasn't a good sparring partner. Very undisciplined. My trainer was pretty good and he'd put me in with someone older who would sort of "whip me into shape", nothing cruel but they would use their footwork and knowledge of the clinch until my I was too tired to fight. They taught me that getting nervous, aggressive and angry was the worst thing to do. You'd get tired then took to school, nothing rough but frustrating! You had to learn restraint, pacing and how to think. I did it for a fair few years until the gym changed it's lighting. I found it helped me with physical contact immensely. I used to be quite aggressive if I was roughed up or touched too much. I even managed to do Jiu Jitsu for a while which is pretty much all physical contact. I still have a problem with physical contact without context but I'd say that doing a few combat sports has helped.

I'd say look for Tai Chi. It's not even really a combat sport it just depends on which direction your aims and/or skills take you. It's not sparring intensive but I've seen first hand a few ASD kids start with the Tui Shou or "pushing hands" drill and it seems like a really good starting point. There was a kid who was about 10 or 11 who came along with his mom for exercise. He had issues with his balance and proprioception, he didn't like physical contact either. He started doing pushing hands really gently, he actually took to it quickly. I think he enjoyed the repetitive, gentle movements. After a while he could keep up with the kids his age and even some older, bigger kids, in some pretty intensive sessions. I'd say Tai Chi is probably the best form of exercise for most ASD kids. Even if they don't do the contact stuff, balance and awareness of your body is a key skill learned.

Here's a link about Tui Shou. It explains how it is non-violent but it develops a base for generally getting used to contact and improves strength, flexibility and balance. It even teaches things like restraint, knowing your own strength and respecting your partners limits and boundaries. You might be pushing with a big, young, strong participant then with a frailer, weaker, participant. It's a pretty unique thing.

http://taichibasics.com/tai-chi-push-hands/

Good luck with your essay.

All the best.

• That's awesome - thanks so much!! And explains what I think far better than I could!! I need to write an essay on Taekwondo, so I'm thinking that this is a really interesting topic.  My son loved all the patterns and theory, but started struggling when sparring became more important. I also do Kickboxing, which seems to be a lot less appealing to ASD kids, as there's more contact and teamwork involved, albeit in pairs.

• I never did Taekwondo as a kid but I did box. I've done several martial arts over the years as an adult. I think martial arts are appealing because of the drills. There is a structure to them that other sports don't have. It's also a great way to release energy. I have practiced Tai Chi on and off for the last few years. There are a few people on the spectrum who have either been in the class or passed through. I think it all boils down to the whole structure thing. I'd also say it isn't a team sport. A lot of kids on the spectrum have a problem with team sports.

This is an interesting piece I just found. The trainer mentions how it can help with motor skills.

https://www.mmafrenzy.com/88652/autism-in-combat-sports/

Also here's a piece about Boxing and Autism.

http://www.punditarena.com/boxing/podea/how-boxing-training-has-massive-benefits-for-children-with-autism/